Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thank you, Mozy!

Okay. It’s been a long time since I blogged, or even cruised the blogs I love. Saying I’ve been busy is the closest I’m going to come to an excuse. Forgive me and let’s move on.
So why am I saying thank you to Mozy? Because a few weeks ago my laptop, the center of my Universe, ( sad, but true) died on me. Not just died. It popped its clogs on the Thursday before my current client’s go-live weekend. Deader than a doornail. I’m lucky enough to work with a great bunch of folks and our PC guy over-nighted me a new one, which was extremely helpful. Naturally though, it only had the bare essentials installed, and none of my documents; which is where Mozy comes in. Mozy automatically backs up all my changes every night, so all I had to do was to go their website, choose which docs I couldn’t live without for that weekend and download them.
Phew!
I’ll be totally honest here. I could have managed the go-live without the docs. It would have been ugly but I could have done it. My biggest concern was my writing. But it was all safe and sound. A Shadowed Flame (which looks at me with reproach in its eyes. I know. I still haven’t queried it as much as I should). Project Tevan. Ideas for future projects. They were all part of that initial download. I took me several days more to get all the things that I had backed up but considering that was over 20 Gigabytes worth that’s not big deal.
I’ve just reinstalled Frontpage and that’s the last of my programs so I think I’m about back to where I was on that fateful Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, I have to get some kind of backup going. Between writing, music, and photos, I've got so much irreplaceable stuff on the home computer it's scary.

Liz said...

You know it makes sense. It doesn't even cost very much, and trust me on this, when you need it you really do need it. Be a deveil. Go on. click on the Mozy link and sign up. Or you'll be sorry!