Wednesday, March 26, 2008

At last, something to watch on TV

This post was inspired by Theadra's missive on the final death throes of Jericho. I don't watch much TV. I'm not saying the TV isn't on in our house; it is. I just don't watch the screen much. There's nothing but a boring parade of the same old same old. So I have to ask you... are you tired of watching fifteen different versions of CSI? Bored with endless, mindless sit-coms? If you can get it, try watching BBC America on Wednesday night for a change. One of the best programs on TV is on there -- MI5. And soon, April 6th I believe, it will be joined by my favoirite, the incredible Wire in the Blood. Not for the fainthearted I'll admit, it's a chilling look at the world through the eyes of a criminal psychologist. There's usually no graphic violence... but the pictures in your mind are far more graphic than anything they need to show. Superb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to figure out how to get BBC Amercia. At least these sound interesting. Have I mentioned how much I dislike our current ratings sytem? =)

Great, so now I have less than a week to figure it out. Wish me luck!

Liz said...

I can save you the bother. BBC America will be on your upper cable/satellite channels but only if you subscribe to one of their outrageously expensive higher end packages. We do, but only so we can get BBC America. Othewise I'd do anway with the wrteched TV altogether. Without sounding too much like an advert, it does have the best news programs. Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight (Friday evenings at 10.00) is brilliant. Politicians shake in their boots when he interviews them. No namby-pamby mealy-mouthed questions from him; he goes straight for the jugular and holds on until they answer. Great stuff!

If all else fails you can look at their website.

And I think I do remeber you mentioning you don't like the rating system at some point.